Have you seen a baby with dark elbows and knees? No, obviously. The thick dead skin formed by friction or pressure in elbows, knees, or ankles causes the skin to turn black.
It is really embarrassing for women to wear short skirts or sleeveless dresses with black knees and elbows. Due to our bad habits, we seem to lean on our elbows rather than sit straight and keep a good posture.
There are other reasons as well. Now, I would suggest you to ponder on certain points? Is your menstrual cycle highly irregular? Have you been to a doctor or ignored it? Are you a teenager going through puberty? Are you having any other dark patches or blotches on your skin, especially near your genitals or breast or neck? If all these questions are answered in negative, you do not need any professional advice. If not, you might need to consult a doctor and get yourself checked. Darkening of skin can be a symptom to some of the diseases caused by hormonal imbalance in the body.
You can easily get rid of these dark knees and elbows using various home remedies. The home remedies should be based on exfoliation and bleaching of the skin.
- Lose weight. Do not think further. Just lose that extra weight.
- Use a moisturizing cream and a rough body scrub made from honey or oils like coconut, almond, and olive. They help in getting rid of the dead cells in these areas in an effective way. Sugar and rock salt are obvious choices for the granular part of the scrub.
- Apply a heavy moisturizer on your legs and arms. They are, generally, the driest parts of the body even if your skin type is oily. Keep the elbows and knees moisturized.
- Applying coconut oil or almond oil is also beneficial.
- Use lemon juice with sugar. Another one is tomato juice or pomegranate juice with honey or oils. Fresh lime juice or orange will give more potent results than lemon.
- Mix milk cream with a pinch of turmeric and apply on the affected areas.
- Keep the elbows and knees covered as much as possible.
- There should be no deep lines visible on the joints. If you can see lines, that means your skin is dry and you need to moisturize it. Apply oil from vitamin E supplements topically.
Baking Soda – It is very effective in cleaning the skin and reduces darkening of the skin. Milk bleaches and cleanses the skin. Take one tablespoon of baking soda and mix it with milk. Apply this paste on knees and elbows and scrub it using circular motion. Repeat the remedy once every two days. Repeat until you notice changes in the color.
Turmeric , Honey & Milk – Turmeric has antiseptic properties and milk act as bleach. Honey moisturizes the dry skin and also has antiseptic properties. These natural properties of the ingredients will help to get rid of black elbows and knees.
Sugar & Olive Oil – The sugar present in this home remedy work as exfoliate and the olive oil will moisturize the skin. Mix equal quantities of olive oil and sugar to make a thick paste. Apply this mix on to the black knees and elbow. Rub the skin using this mixture for about five minutes. Wash using mild soap and water.
Exfoliating Brush – You can use any exfoliating brush or loofah to remove the dead cells from the knee and elbow.
Aloe Vera Gel – Aloe Vera reduces the sun damage caused to the skin due to overexposure of the elbows and knees to the sun. It also moisturizes the skin and prevents the dryness which may lead to darkening of the skin.
Sunscreen Lotions – Using sunscreen lotions while going out reduces the chances of developing dark skin on the exposed parts.
Vinegar & Yoghurt – When used together this home remedy to reduce the dark color of the skin as they cleanse and moisturize the skin. Apply a mixture of vinegar and yoghurt on the affected areas and leave it to dry. When the mixture becomes dry rub the area in circular motion for two minutes and wash.
Pumice Stone – Rub the dark skin using a pumice stone. This helps to remove the dead cells of the skin. You may use pumice stone to remove the dead skin while bathing.
Try these home remedies to get rid of the darkening of knees and elbows. Now wear your favorite skirt and go out with confidence.
Image courtesy: ehow.com ,