Our stomach produces acid to digest the food that we eat. This is a regular and natural process. Whenever we eat, cells within the lining of the stomach pump acid to liquefy your sumptuous dinner, from mash potatoes to a slab of steak.
Problem occurs when these cells produce large amount of acid, more than your stomach needs. When this happens, you will suffer from stomach acidity. You would know if you were suffering from stomach acidity if you feel a burning sensation just above the stomach, or right below (the hollow part) your breastbone. This is the most classic sign of acidity.
Acidity leads to sour or burning sensation in the chest, which is caused by excessive acid secretion into the upper end of the esophagus. Its common symptoms are dyspepsia, heartburn and formation of ulcers.
- Respiratory problems.
- Inadequate weight.
- Turning down food.
- Heartburn, chest and stomach pain, gas formation in stomach.
- Difficulty swallowing food.
Causes Of Acidity
A weakness of the valve between the stomach and oesophagus (food pipe) can cause a reflux of the acid from the stomach to the lower part of the oesophagus. This gastro-oesophageal reflux can cause heart-burn.
Sometimes, a heavy meal or increase in intra-abdominal pressure such as while straining or lifting weights, can bring about this reflux.
Excess acid secretion can also cause acidity and ulcers, when the normal protective lining of the stomach and duodenum (the part of the intestine that joins the stomach), is damaged. The resulting ulcer is called gastric ulcer if it is in the stomach and duodenal ulcer if it is in the duodenum.
- Rich Oily spicy food
- Excessive Intake of Alcohol
- Staying empty stomach
- Skipping breakfast
- Bad eating habits
- Intake of caffeine
- Certain medication
- Eating large meals
- Aerated beverages
- Non vegetarian diets
- Improper sleep.
- Eating speedily, not proper chewing.
Prevention of Acidity & Heartburn:
- Banana is an effective remedy for Acidity, eating a banana every day will stop acidity.
- Prepare mixture of normal apple cider, vinegar and raw honey in water. Take it before meals.
- Avoid fried foods, pickles, spicy foods and chocolates.
- Eat raw salad of vegetables in limit like onion, cabbage, radish, garlic etc.
- Do not give long gap between meals. This produces gas.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day.
- Do not sleep immediately after meals.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Avoid foods that are rich in oils and fats. These foods are difficult to digest, so they may make the stomach release more acids.
- The diet should contain a proper blend of all the tastes. Spicy food must be just one dish rather than the whole meal.
- Fibers are necessary in the diet as they help in the digestion.
- Red meats must be eaten only occasionally, if at all.
- After a meal, the body must be given some sort of exercise. This could be as simple as going for a stroll.
- Too much addiction to strong foods such as tea and coffee may cause hyperacidity. This is also true for other addictions such as smoking and alcohol.
- Do not consume sour foods as they already have acidic contents. Acidic foods to avoid are pickles, curds, tamarinds, vinegar, etc.
- Maintain upright position during and at least 45 mins after eating.
- Try elevating the head of bed 6 – 8 inches when lying down.
Home remedies for Acidity
1. Drink 3 or 4 glasses of water early morning to prevent acidity.
2. Drink as much butter milk as you can for 2 days, your acidity cures easily.
3. Drink one glass of ragi (finger millet) java before going to work daily will get rid of acidity forever.
Took equal proportion of ginger and coriander
4. Tulsi is a good home remedy for Acidity. Chew few basil (tulsi ) leaves, it gives relief from blazing, nausea and gas.
5. Suck a little piece of jaggery (gur) in mouth. Repeat it 4-5 times till acidity fall down.
6. Eat fruits like watermelon, cucumber and banana.
7. Eat few almonds (badam) when you suffer from acidity.
8. Drink coconut water 3-4 times in day.
9. Cold milk gives quick relief in Acidity. Drink a glass of cold milk for heartburn and acidity.
10.Take one piece of clove (long) and suck it slowly.
11. Mint (pudina) is best home remedy for Acidity. Drink fresh mint juice slowly after meals.
Drinking Carrot juice or eating raw carrot regularly helps to overcome acidity.
12. Having potato broth on regular basis for longer period can give permanent relief to acidity
13. Caraway seeds(jeera) : Add a teaspoonful of caraway seeds to one and half liter of water. Boil it and simmer for nearly 20 min.sip warm at least 2 or 3 times a day on regular basis.
14. 2 teaspoon of amla (goose berry) powder twice a day works very effective.
15. Consumption of yogurt on regular basis will keep down the symptoms of acid reflux and acidity.
An apple a day keeps acidity away.
16.Drinking 1 ounce of the aloe vera juice in 2 ounces of water every day on regular basis to get relief from acid reflux.