Are you a victim of frizzy hair with split ends? Does your bike ride ends up in an electrocuted hair style? Know that your hair is crying for moisture.
Moisturizing is of paramount importance for curly and rough hair types to maintain manageable hair. No wonder most women visit a hair spa for management of their hair. But this is not a very affordable option for many. EHC looks at the natural, least expensive options of managing your dry and frizzy hair.
Causes of Dry Hair
Exposure to Environment – If you live in an area with extreme heat or extreme cold, then your hair might become brittle. Constant exposure to the sun and wind can cause dry hair. Chlorine is murder on your hair so be careful when swimming in chlorinated swimming pools. Also water with a high mineral content can dry out your hair.
Hair Care Habits – Hair care habits like excess shampooing strip away elements that keep your hair moist. Hair dyes and perm treatments that expose your hair to harsh chemicals also have disastrous effects on your locks. The overuse of heat through blow dryers, curling irons, and electric curlers only intensifies dry hair.
Age – Age and menopause cause changes in the amount of hormones produced in the body. Common side effects include dry hair or even hair loss. Pregnancy also affects hormone levels and can result in dry hair until the pregnancy ends and hormones stabilize.
Illness – If you have an extended time with an illness, you may develop dry hair. Cancer patients undergoing conventional treatment often experience dry hair due to the medications and therapies used.
Malnutrition – Malnutrition is the condition that occurs when your body doesn’t get enough nutrients. An inadequate diet, problems with digestion or absorption, and certain medical conditions can all play a factor.
Anorexia Nervosa – Anorexia is an eating disorder that causes people to lose more weight than is considered healthy, leading to nutritional deficiency. Dry hair and skin are early symptoms of anorexia.
Natural Remedies for Dry Hair
Oil massage – Combine coconut oil, crushed almond, and lemon juice. Warm the mixture and massage it on your scalp. Cover your head with a warm towel for about half an hour then wash your hair. Here almond oil and egg could work wonders. Almond oil acts as a natural hair emollient while the egg proteins repair the hair strands.
Hot oil treatment also is a good option. Take 1/3rd cups of coconut oil and olive oil. Add to this, 2-4 teaspoons of pure almond oil. Warm the mixture on indirect heat. Massage this into your scalp and cover your head with a warm, moist towel for 20 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo. For additional benefit, you can rinse with honeyed water.
Avocado mask – Using avocado-based hair mask is an inexpensive yet effective remedy to control frizzy hair issues. Simply mash an avocado with curd to make a smooth creamy paste. This can be used as a hair mask once or twice every week to naturally condition hair and prevent dryness.
Mayonnaise – Mix 1/4th cup of mayonnaise, 1/3rd cup of pure almond oil and 1-2 eggs depending on your hair length. Coat every single strand of your hair religiously and cover it (with a shower cap for example) to let the mixture settle. Rinse with vinegar, after sufficiently diluting it with water.
Banana – Bananas are great for hair conditioning! A banana mask for hair is just the kind of pamper your hair deserves. Use a mixture of banana, honey and coconut/almond oil whenever you feel dryness creeping
Beer – Beer is surely a popular drink for everyone who has a taste for it. But it is also popularly known that beer makes for a good hair wash product hybrid that results into soft hair on use.
Aloe vera – Aloe vera contains ingredients that have excellent moisturizing properties, which can greatly benefit your hair. Aloe vera treatment will make dry hair become soft, lustrous, and shiny.
Mix 3 to 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel with 11/2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Add 3 tablespoons of yogurt and mix well. Apply the mixture to the hair and leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes. Wash your hair as usual.
More About Hair Care
If you wish to keep your hair healthy, shiny, and strong and prevent or reduce dryness, you should pay great attention to your daily hair care routine.
- Avoid harsh shampoos and chemicals that can damage and dry out your hair.
- Do not shampoo too often. It causes hair dryness.
- Dry hair is fragile. When you wash and massage your hair, don’t do it with your nails, but use your fingertips. Nails will irritate your scalp and cause your hair to break.
- Condition your hair regularly. A good conditioner for dry hair will nourish and moisturize your hair and protect it from splitting. If your hair is extremely dry, you may also leave the conditioner on overnight.
- Trim off split ends to prevent them from spreading up the hair strand.
- Avoid chemical hair dyes, permanent colorings, electric curling irons, hair straighteners, hot rollers, perms, and blow dryers that are too hot. Whenever possible, allow your hair to dry naturally.
- Chlorinated water can be extremely harmful for your hair and cause it to become very dry hair. Never swim without a cap.
- Be gentle with you hair and always brush it carefully and delicately. Dry hair is fragile and prone to breakage, and rough combing can cause it fall out or break.
- Natural bristle brushes are the best choice for dry and damaged hair.
- Don’t overexpose your hair to sun, as it will dry it out. Wear a hat whenever you can or apply protective creams, lotions, and balms before exposure to the sun.
- Drink plenty of water as it helps your body expel various harmful substances and toxins that can cause your hair to become dry and brittle.
Taking good care of your hair, eating a healthy diet, and regularly applying the above- described hair treatments will make your hair look beautiful and healthy and prevent it from drying out.