“I don’t like this”, “I want my favourite side dish”; this is probably a common every day thing you hear from a child. If yes, then you need to check if this is how you want your child to grow. Kids only know what they want, not what they need. As parents, the duty falls upon us to teach them good food habits and give them what their body needs.
Here is a menu plan for a week that would help you plan your meals every day.
[sws_zebra_table_csv width=”100%” bgcolor=”dedede” hbgcolor=”6ddffc” hcolor=”000000″ bbgcolor=”ffffff” bcolor=”666699″ bzebra=”eff2ff” bhover=”d0dafd”]
|MONDAY||Idli/Tomato chutney||Apple||Roti/Channa||Bread pudding||Wheat rava upma/Banana.|
|TUESDAY||Wheat bread/Channa||Banana||Rice/sambhar& veg side||Aval/Jaggery||Dosa with sambhar.|
|WEDNESDAY||Rice puttu/Banana||Pomegranate||Aaloo Paratha/Cucumber Raitha||Fruit Milkshake|
|THURSDAY||Wheat bread/Spread||Plantain with ghee n jaggery||Vegetable Pulao||Moong Dhal salad||Left Overs.|
|FRIDAY||Cereal/Milk||Roasted cashews/Pistachios||Vegetable Pasta||Cookies||Porridge/Chutney.|
|SATURDAY||Pongal/Sambhar||Fresh Fruit Juice||Rice Side Dish||Grilled Veg/Paneer||Dine Out & Movie.|
|SUNDAY||Aapam/Egg curry/Veg stew||Lassi||Biryani||Carrot Cake||Oats/Choco Syrup & Bananas.|
|ANY TIRED DAY||Plantain/Egg/Milk||Wheat crackers||Special Curd Rice||Biscuits||Oats.|
Tips to note:
- Plan ahead and do prep work previous night.
- Idli/Dosa dough needs to be ground on Sunday.
- ALWAYS have fruits BEFORE food.
- Give milk with snack.
- Include curd wherever possible with Dinner or Lunch.
- You may substitute Vegetable side dish in lunch with one egg.
- IF you prefer non vegetarian it is better to serve hot meat dishes over the weekend.
- You don’t have to eat rice every day!
- Pasta is not a junk food.
- Don’t let your child decide their menu.
- Don’t let them eat food and watch T.V or play games.
- Don’t feed them. Make them realize what they eat and why they need the nutrients.
- Teach them to chew their food before they swallow.
- Starting at the age of 10 months, kids should be taught to chew.
- It’s EASY if you plan ahead and give it a try! Once you do it, you may substitute the dishes with other equal nutritious food as your choice.
[sws_green_box box_size=”600″] Article by,