Turning a year older – does that also mean getting another grey in your curls? Fortunately, we now have the perfect solution for you; a natural and healthy alternative to the chemical hairdyes.
We present to you all natural Henna-Indigo to bring those dark curls back all naturally! So read ahead and discover a new mix of natural hair dyes that could do wonders to your hair.
What is Indigo?
Indigo is a natural hair dye obtained from a plant of the species Indigofera tinctoria. This dye is dark blue in color. Indigo is mainly used for dying clothes (jeans, etc.) and at other times used to treat scorpion bites and ovarian and stomach cancer.
Advantages of Indigo Dyeing
- Indigo mixed with henna gives your hair rich brown colour. Indigo applied over henna-treated hair gives it a lush black colour.
- Completely natural and doesn’t have any chemicals.
- Gives your hair shine and texture.
Here is how we go about the dyeing:
Step 1: Dye you hair with Henna
- Use some petroleum jelly around your hairline so that the henna does not color your forehead.
- Take a small portion of your hair and apply henna to that portion. Wind that portion of hair in one direction tightly.
- Take another portion of hair, apply henna, and wind it in the opposite direction. Do it for all your hair in small portions.
- Due to the winding, hair will stay in its place without clips.
- Then wear a shower cap and keep the henna for at least 2 to 3 hours and then wash it using lukewarm water. It is advisable not to use shampoo or conditioner.
Your white hair will become orangish in hue now. But don’t worry, that’s where we use Indigo.
Step 2: Use Indigo
If you have short hair, then take 100 grams of indigo, if you have medium length hair, then 200 grams of indigo will do and if you have long hair then you will need 300 grams of indigo. Please do not do this process if you want to have light highlights.
- Mix indigo with water to get yogurt-like consistency and apply it to your hair immediately.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and let it stay on for 30 minutes.
- Then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Indigo will take one day to oxidize completely and thus you will have amazing black hair.
- Mix both henna and indigo separately with warm water. After some time add both the mixes together and apply to your hair if you want to enhance the browning effect of the indigo dye. This will darken your hair.
And there you go! Jet black hair is all yours!
Note: Indigo could be a mild ocular irritant, it is advised to consult a doctor before its use.