- Olive Oil for ConstipationPosted 2 months ago
- Burn your fat with this Pink SmoothiePosted 2 months ago
- Know you are pregnant even before a missed periodPosted 2 months ago
- Potato for Fair Inner ThighsPosted 2 months ago
- Wonderful Homemade Hair RinsesPosted 2 months ago
- Scabies – All You Need to KnowPosted 2 months ago
- Why does your period blood smell?Posted 2 months ago
- Natural Black Curls in a Natural WayPosted 2 months ago
- Silent Signs of Liver CancerPosted 2 months ago
- It Is Time to Detox!!Posted 3 months ago
Your Sleeplessness May Now Find an Answer Through Your Breath
Sometimes the simplest of things can make the greatest of differences in our lives and health.
Whether that means eating all-natural and organic foods or drinking plenty of water, it often turns out that the more basic, the better it is for our bodies. The same goes right in getting a good night’s rest. If you want to be able to fall asleep quickly and naturally and get the recommended amount of sleep each night, try this out.
For some people, falling asleep is not so simple and straightforward. They lay their head on the pillow and hours later are still wide awake, tossing and turning, trying to silently ease their minds in the hopes of passing out. If you’re one of those who fail to get enough sleep each night, then you know how dreadful bedtime can be.
Many people turn to sleeping pills, melatonin, alcohol, warm baths or milk in the hope that it will lead to a better night’s sleep. Sometimes these work, but only temporarily and most often fail to produce the desired effects. However, many people are yet to try one of the most basic alternatives to help them fall asleep naturally.
This tried and proven method is known as the “4-7-8” breathing technique. People all over the world, swear by this and claim that they’re able to fall asleep faster when they use it. The technique was popularized by a world renowned expert on holistic health, Dr. Andrew Weil, who also happens to be a pioneer in the field of integrative medicine. The “4-7-8” breathing exercise can be done anytime, anywhere and is incredibly simple. Here’s how to do it:
- Place the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth. You want it to be right against the area of tissue that’s located just behind your upper front teeth. It should also stay there all through this entire exercise.
- Exhale all the way out and completely through your mouth, expelling the air with a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and without making any noise inhale through your nose for a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, again making a whoosh sound, for a count of eight.
The steps above should have all been one complete breathe cycle with the exhalation part having taken you twice as long as the inhalation portion. Repeat the process for three more cycles and thus a total of four breaths. Make sure that you exhale at all times through your mouth. Some people have found that it can also help if you try pursing your lips ever so slightly. You should try to practice it ideally twice a day. This also works well to relieve tension, stress, and upsetting events in addition to helping you go to sleep.
Anyone and everyone can benefit from this measured breathing technique because it makes you mindful about your breathing and your focus is no more on the stress or thoughts that keep you up night after night. Dr. Weil aptly describes this breathing exercise as a “natural tranquilizer for the nervous system” and he is correct! It relaxes your mind and body and with repeated practice it becomes stronger and more effective.
Just go for this "4-7-8" and sleep tight all night!!