- 5 Besan or Gram flour Face Packs to Revitalize Your SkinPosted 3 weeks ago
- Do You Want to Get Rid of Termites? – Try these Home-made RemediesPosted 3 weeks ago
- Mustard Oil for Bouncy and Silky Hair GrowthPosted 3 weeks ago
- Top 10-Foods to Keep Your Uric Acid Levels LowPosted 4 weeks ago
- 15-Incredible Health Benefits of Sapodilla (Chikoo)Posted 1 month ago
- Vitamin E – Does it Promote Hair Growth and Scalp Health?Posted 1 month ago
- 10-Factors That Increase Your Chance Of Conceiving TwinsPosted 1 month ago
- 4-Garlic Extracts that Fights Ear InfectionPosted 1 month ago
- Cervical Cancer – Checkout for These 10 Warning SignsPosted 1 month ago
- The Leptin Diet –Five Simple Rules to a Fast Weight LossPosted 1 month ago
The Honeymoon Cystitis
Interesting name, isn’t it? Let’s cut the chase and go straight into its definition. Honeymoon disease is cystitis caused by sensual activity. It has the same symptoms like cystitis with burning sensation when peeing as well as the frequent urge to go to the bathroom.
Severe symptoms like blood in urine, fever, burning sensation lasting more than a day, etc., may be signs of acute cystitis, in which case you should consult a doctor immediately.
The term honeymoon cystitis was applied because this was traditionally the time of first sensual activity when it would be passionate, frequent but not conducted with a great deal of expertise. The condition of sensual related female lower urinary tract infection or “honeymoon cystitis”, occurs at many times other than during the honeymoon.
During sensual act, E.coli bacteria which tend to live on the skin around your anus can be transferred to your urethra. The honeymoon disease remains more common among young women in their twenties, although single women in their 50s are increasingly reporting that they suffer from the problem. Women are much more at risk of bladder infection, because their urethra is much shorter than the male urethra, which makes it easy for E.coli bacteria to reach the bladder. Men don't commonly get cystitis without suffering from a more serious underlying health problem.
The common causes of cystitis for women are wiping after using the restroom, bacteria being introduced to the bladder during sensual play, and drinking the wrong fluids/dehydration.
If you notice any bladder pain/burning during or after sensual play, please drink 8-16 ounces of water right away and if possible, you may take a cranberry capsule or tablet. You should stop drinking soft drinks, tea, juice, coffee (even decaf); these things can make the infection worse.
Honeymoon Cystitis Risk Factors
- Poor vaginal lubrication.
- Use of a contraceptive diaphragm and/or spermicide.
- Generally in females, the more sensually active, the more you are at risk of developing honeymoon cystitis.
- Young people who have unprotected sensual act.
Maintain proper hygiene. Keep the area of the vagina and urethra clean and dry at all times and always wipe from front to back to prevent infections from being pushed into the urinary tract.
During menstruation, tampons are a better alternative than sanitary pads. Sanitary pads can collect bacteria and keep the area moist and warm thus encouraging infections. Just make sure tampons are changes regularly as well.
Wear underwear that is made of cotton and a breathable fabric. This ensures that there is circulation of air and bacteria growth is discouraged.
Tight clothes or clothes made of synthetic material should not be worn for too long. Wearing a wet swimsuit can also cause an UTI.
Avoid douching and excessive washing as this hampers the natural balance in the vaginal area.
Urinate before and after sensual act.
Drink plenty of fluids to encourage regular urination and never hold in the urge to urinate.
- Spinach juice mixed with equal quantities of coconut water and drunk up to two times a day is an excellent diuretic. Encouraging frequent urination, this helps flush out the infection naturally and could hasten recovery.
- A juice made of radish leaves drunk daily first thing in the morning can reduce painful symptoms of cystitis and treat the infection.
- Another good cystitis home treatment is boiling okra in water and having this concoction twice a day.
- An excellent cystitis cure is fresh cucumber juice. Cucumber juice mixed with a teaspoon of honey acts as a diuretic and should be drunk thrice a day for at least two weeks for the best results.
- Lemon is an effective and natural remedy for cystitis. One teaspoon of lemon juice boiled with 200 ml of water should be allowed to cool before having a teaspoon at a time every two hours. Lemon juice reduces pain and burning during urination. In case minor bleeding occurs with cystitis, lemon juice can treat this as well.
Indian Gooseberry: It is rich in vitamin C which in turn inhibits the growth of bacteria. Take a cup of water. Add one teaspoon of Indian gooseberry (amla) powder and one teaspoon of turmeric powder. Boil the solution until half the water evaporates. Drink the residue three times a day for three to five days.
You can also eat more fruits like lemons, oranges, bananas, guava, kiwi, melon, raspberries, tomatoes, and papaya that contain a good amount of vitamin C.
Cranberry Juice: Certain compounds like proanthocyanidins found in cranberries prevent bacteria from reaching the walls of the urethra and causing UTIs. Cranberry juice also has a very mild antibiotic affect. Those suffering from a UTI should drink about three to four glasses of cranberry juice daily to prevent the infection from causing damage to the kidneys. You must drink unsweetened cranberry juice. You can mix it with apple juice to enhance the taste.
Warning: Do not take cranberry juice if you have a history of kidney stones.
Baking Soda: It will raise the acid-base balance of acidic urine and give you relief from the pain. Neutralizing the acidity in the urine also will help speed up recovery. Simply add one teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water and drink it once or twice a day.
Hot Water Compresses: Regular use of hot water compresses will help minimize bladder pressure and give you relief from pain caused by the infection. A hot compress also will decrease the inflammation and help prevent growth of the bacteria that causes the infection.