- 5 Besan or Gram flour Face Packs to Revitalize Your SkinPosted 2 weeks ago
- Do You Want to Get Rid of Termites? – Try these Home-made RemediesPosted 2 weeks ago
- Mustard Oil for Bouncy and Silky Hair GrowthPosted 2 weeks ago
- Top 10-Foods to Keep Your Uric Acid Levels LowPosted 3 weeks ago
- 15-Incredible Health Benefits of Sapodilla (Chikoo)Posted 4 weeks ago
- Vitamin E – Does it Promote Hair Growth and Scalp Health?Posted 4 weeks ago
- 10-Factors That Increase Your Chance Of Conceiving TwinsPosted 1 month ago
- 4-Garlic Extracts that Fights Ear InfectionPosted 1 month ago
- Cervical Cancer – Checkout for These 10 Warning SignsPosted 1 month ago
- The Leptin Diet –Five Simple Rules to a Fast Weight LossPosted 1 month ago
Yogurt – The Super Health Food
Almost all the dairy products are loaded with hordes of nutritional values. They also add flavor while using with other foods while preparing. Hence dairy products are considered as a significant part of the diet of human beings.
Yogurt is one such kind of a dairy product with numerous health benefits. Yogurt or curds or dahi, is a popular food item all over the world and in India. In North India, people eat it with flattened rice or chapatis while in the South, people are great patrons of yogurt rice. There is even a thought that consuming yogurt before embarking on a journey will ensure safety and good health. This article takes you through the benefits of yogurt and reasons why you should add it to your daily diet.
Nutritional Value of Yogurt (150 gm)
|Nutrients||Whole Yogurt||Low-fat Yogurt|
|Carbohydrates||23.6 g||11 g|
|Proteins||7.7 g||7.7 g|
|Saturated Fats||4.2 g||1.2 g|
|Unsaturated Fats||2.3 g||0.8 g|
|Calcium||240 mg||285 mg|
The nutrients in yogurt are easily absorbed by your digestive system. It also helps in absorbing nutrients from other food items that you have eaten. It can also be used along with spicy food, as yogurt cools down and neutralizes the heat that these foods create. A Taiwanese study even found that yogurt is helpful in curing H. Pylori infections which is the most common type of stomach infection.
Yogurt minimizes the risk of high blood pressure and helps reduce cholesterol levels by preventing the thickening of carotid arteries.
Substitute for Milk
Some people, who cannot consume milk because they are lactose intolerant, can safely consume yogurt. It converts the lactose present in milk to lactic acid, making it easier to digest. Also, you do not lose out on the nutritional boost that milk provides.
Yogurt has ‘good bacteria’ present in it which strengthens your immune system by fighting against several microorganisms that are present in the body. It is also useful in preventing vaginal yeast infection in women. These properties of yogurt do not diminish even when it is heated along with curry preparations to add flavor.
Good for Teeth & Bones
All dairy products are good for your bones, and yogurt is no different. Like milk, yogurt too has a high amount of phosphorous and calcium. This makes it beneficial for your teeth and bones as it helps promote bone growth and makes your teeth stronger.
Nutrients like zinc, Vitamin E and phosphorus make yogurt a natural skincare product and it is often used as an ingredient in homemade packs. A simple mixture of yogurt, gram flour and lime juice can be made at home to give you an attractive and glowing face.
Helps Lose Weight
Whenever nutritionists make a diet plan, the first thing they include is yogurt. The calcium present in it prevents your body from pumping more cortisol. Hormonal imbalance of cortisol is responsible for a host of problems like hypertension, obesity and cholesterol.
Relives Stress & Anxiety
Along with other things, eating some yogurt can surely help you rejuvenate and relax. According to a study conducted by UCLA’s School of Medicine, eating yogurt was linked to lower levels of activity in the part of brain responsible for emotion and pain.
If your acne is annoying you too much, then you can rely on sour yogurt to fight this problem. Just dab sour yogurt on the affected area and wash off after 15 minutes. Your acne will start diminishing after regular use.
Yogurt is an excellent conditioner for your hair. Just apply yogurt on your hair for 30 minutes. Afterwards, wash off with cold water and experience softer and glossy hair within minutes. Yogurt can be added to henna and eggs hair mask to bring shine and volume to your hair.
Mix yogurt with black pepper powder to apply on your dandruff affected hair twice a week. This hair mask is very beneficial in giving you thick, healthy and silky hair that enhances your beauty quotient.
Add rose water and turmeric to yogurt. Massage your face with this mix for 15 minutes and wash off with warm water. You will get softer and fairer skin right after the application.
Add lemon juice to yogurt and apply this solution on your face. This application will grant fairer and softer skin in an instant. You can massage this solution on your hands and nails also to get shiny and healthy cuticles.
Apply yogurt on your sun burnt skin to heal and soothe it quickly. The fat content in yogurt helps to cure blisters and peeling caused by suntan, over a short period of time.
Yogurt & Ayurveda
Ayurveda explains yogurt as having sour mixed sweet property and it increase Kapha dosha in the body. The mucus generation is also attributed to the effect of Kapha. During night period, there is natural predominance of Kapha in the body. So, yogurt consumption at night will further increase kapha leading to many complications. Whenever there is swelling or inflammation, if yogurt is taken, it worsens the inflammation. Note that these properties are attributed to sour yogurt.
Dos & Don’ts
- Yogurt should preferably be avoided during nighttime.
- Avoid yogurt during fever due to winter season (fevers which occur due to the effect of cold during winter).
- Avoid yogurt during acute running nose and in the presence of cough with expectoration of phlegm.
- It should not be boiled or heated.
- Always it has to be mixed with honey/sugar/Amla or churna directed by your doctor before consuming.
- Its properties get enhanced when mixed with cooked green gram or ghee or gooseberries.
- Yogurt should be used only when it is well formed or completely coagulated.
- Egg, fish, alcohol, and meat should not be taken with yogurt as per Ayurveda.