There are many women who are afraid to wear sleeveless and tank tops due to the darker patches that have formed on their underarms.
These do not form suddenly but over time. Usually there are common causes that are associated with dark underarms. For others, they might suffer ailments which will lead to underarm skin darkening. It is important to know the causes and the symptoms so that it can be prevented. Let’s look into some simple home remedies to keep the underarm areas light and even toned as the rest of the body.
- Exposure to sunlight for a prolonged period of time. Skin color changes as the ultraviolet rays strike the exposed skin. The special cells such as the melanocytes are known to produce a brown-colored pigment. This pigment is known to protect the skin from the UV light. Thus, the skin produces more melanin when it is exposed to the sun for a long time.
- Hyperpigmentation. It is excessive darkening of the skin. It is a symptom of a disease known as the Addison’s disease. This is a disorder that comes on when the adrenal glands fail to produce certain hormones of required levels.
- Hormonal changes occur in the body during pregnancy and that in turn leads to changed production of melanin. Thus, one may see blotchy skin in different parts of the body including the underarms.
- Usage of shavers, razors and other cosmetic creams could also be the reason due to which the skin in the underarm areas starts to darken over time.
Natural Bleaching Agents
Regular application of natural beaching agents on their underarm keeps the skin lighter. There are certain vegetables and fruits that we have in our kitchen which can act as natural bleaching agents. These have anti bacterial, acidic and antiseptic properties. They help to lighten up the skin ton naturally.
- Lemon is one such agent. It can be scrubbed on the skin and left on for some time.
- Thin slices of cucumber are also known to have an anti-tanning effect. The juice of thin slices will work wonders on tanned underarm areas.
Just like anti-tanning face packs are created and applied on our faces to lighten up our skin, the same packs will work when the underarm areas become dark.
- A paste made out of cucumber juice, lemon juice and turmeric will work wonders. It needs to be left on for some time and then washed off.
- A paste made of lemon juice, honey, yoghurt is effective. While the lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent, mixed with honey or yoghurt it will reduce the tendency of the skin to be dried out by the lemon juice.
Exfoliating helps in removing dead skin cells and lightening up of the skin. It is better to opt for natural exfoliating packs made of natural ingredients made at home.
- Use a mixture of brown sugar and extra virgin vinegar when you bathe. After the skin is moist, the area should be scrubbed gently and then rinsed off.
- A pack of baking soda and water can be also an effective scrub.
- Orange peel dried and made into a powder can be used as an effective scrub.
Milk contains necessary fatty acids and vitamins which makes it effective as a scrub.
- A paste of cold milk and flour should be applied for some time and then scrubbed off.
In two or three teaspoons of vinegar one can add on rice flour to make a paste. This paste should be applied on wet underarms. After leaving it on for ten to fifteen minutes it should be rinsed off.
There is essential vitamin E in coconut oil which is beneficial for the skin and helps to lighten it.
- Massage coconut oil in the underarm areas. Leave it on for ten to fifteen minutes and then take a warm and exfoliating bath.
A natural whitening pack can be made and applied once or twice in a week to lighten up the skin and make the process faster.
- Make a paste of lemon juice, turmeric, yoghurt and flour. Keep the paste on for ten to fifteen minutes. Rinse off with warm water or when taking bath.
Waxing may be more painful but there are easy wax strips available which one can use at home.
- Waxing leads to removal of hair from the roots. It makes the skin appear lighter and the effect stays for a longer time.
It is better to avoid the use of chemical deodorants. One could use natural ingredients to stop body odor.
- booSandalwood based products are known to act a natural deodorant.
- Coconut oil, vinegar, and rose water are other natural agents which can help to keep the underarms healthy and free of body odor.
It is necessary to follow a healthy and detoxifying diet.
- More of natural foods like fruits and vegetables and whole grains and less of starchy and sugary foods.
- Less of fried and processed food items will restrict the buildup of toxins and sugars in the blood stream.
Use Comfortable Clothing
Often the kind of clothes we wear and the fabric that the clothes are made out of is harmful for the skin. If the skin cannot breathe easily, bacteria and other germ are trapped inside. Again, constant friction with the fabric of the clothes might lead to the skin becoming irritated and dark. Wear clothes that allow free flow of air. Avoid wearing clothes made of synthetic fabric especially around the underarms.
Image courtesy: cosmeticskinclinic.com ,