- Olive Oil for ConstipationPosted 2 months ago
- Burn your fat with this Pink SmoothiePosted 2 months ago
- Know you are pregnant even before a missed periodPosted 2 months ago
- Potato for Fair Inner ThighsPosted 2 months ago
- Wonderful Homemade Hair RinsesPosted 2 months ago
- Scabies – All You Need to KnowPosted 2 months ago
- Why does your period blood smell?Posted 2 months ago
- Natural Black Curls in a Natural WayPosted 2 months ago
- Silent Signs of Liver CancerPosted 2 months ago
- It Is Time to Detox!!Posted 3 months ago
8 Yoga poses for Cervical Spondylosis (Neck)
- Stand erect, legs together,hands by the side of the thighs. Gaze in front.
- Raise your hands straight in front up to arms. Palms facing each other.
- Bring the hands up straight fowards sky, fingers pointing upward.
- Now slowly raise your heels and stand on toes. Raise heels as much as you can. Stretch body up as much as possible.
- While returning to the original position, bring your heels on the ground first.
- Slowly bring down your hands also.
Remember: This is a balancing pose.
Do not make haste so that you lose your balance or get jerk.
In the beginning, legs can be kept apart.
Benefits and Limitations :
- This improves height.
- Spine becomes flexible.
- Visceroptosis and pain in the backbone is removed.
- Those having complaints of reeling sensation should not practice it.
Yogic prevention and management
A. General advice
- Avoid high-impact activities if neck pain is present
- Warm fomentation of the neck region
- Avoid lifting weights
- Take short breaks while driving, watching TV or working on a computer
- Work on the overall posture keeping the neck aligned with shoulders
- Take adequate rest
- When lying down it is best to lie on the side. Avoid sleeping on the face.
- Use a thin and hard pillow to support the head and neck
B. Dietary habits
- Take lots of Fruits, Green vegetable salads and sprouts.
- Good hydration helps inter vertebral discs retain their health.
- Avoid refined foodstuffs and junk foods.
- Milk is an important source of Calcium.
- Green leafy vegetables are important.
- Vitamin C in citrus fruits will help the healing process.
- Honey in warm water or herbal teas are good for cleansing the bowels and this will help relieve many backaches that are due to constipation.
C. Self traction
This is an excellent technique that helps relieve the pain in the neck as well as the entire back by mimicking the traction one gets in the hospitals without the attendant paraphernalia. Turn the head from side to side as if the head is a bottle cap and is being taken off the bottle. Let the head move away from the body puling the upper part of the spine upwards. Then move the heels, one be one as if walking away from the body downwards. Hold this self-traction on the entire spine for 30 seconds. Then release and relax for a minute. Repeat at least three times in the morning before getting out of bed and at night before going to bed.
Conclusion: If Yoga is taken up in the childhood itself, we can prevent many conditions from occurring later on in life. This is primary prevention. Once the condition occurs, we have secondary prevention which tries to control the condition to whatever extent possible. The final part is tertiary prevention where we try to prevent the complications, those complications that can affect the quality of life.
Dr Apsara VR
Ayurveda medical officer, Dhanvandharimadam, Trivandrum.