- Honey and milk – A combination of nutrition and tastePosted 3 days ago
- Why you should avoid drinking chlorinated water and why it is recommended?Posted 1 week ago
- 10-things you should avoid forcing down your household drainsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Try these 10 home-made remedies to get a quick relief from your annoying toothache?Posted 2 weeks ago
- 5-Amazing home-made hair masks for silky, bouncy, and healthy hairPosted 2 weeks ago
- Revealed – The secret formula to make the most powerful home-made antibiotic everPosted 2 weeks ago
- Leptin and Weight Loss – Is there a connection?Posted 2 weeks ago
- 8-ways to prevent Abdominal bloating and discomfortPosted 3 weeks ago
- Be a Better Lover – Five ways to Improve Men’s Sensual StaminaPosted 3 weeks ago
- 7-Home remedies to remove upper lip hairs in womenPosted 3 weeks ago
Home Remedies for Weight Gain
If majority of people are struggling with obesity there are many people who are trying to put on weight. How to know if you are underweight? Just like obesity can be measured using BMI, being underweight or not can be based on the ideal weight for a given height, built and sex.
A person is said to be underweight if the weight is more than 10% below the ideal body weight. There are several reasons why one may be under weight. Some of these reasons can be heredity, stress, bad sleeping habits, poor nutrition and eating habits, exposure to pollutants, lack of exercise, disorders etc.
Do you wish to gain weight? Just like there are many health problems associated with obesity, an underweight person is also prone to many diseases and disorders. However, there are several natural home remedies one can use to gain weight. One way to put on weight is consuming more calories than what you can burn. However make sure you choose healthy foods to add calories. Given below are some home remedies those who are underweight can use to gain weight.
Some causes of under weight
It may be due to the genes. Parents or one of the parents has the nature of not gaining weight even though the person involves in any type of food habits or regimen. So this will be inherited by the offspring also.
There may be some problem because of which the person’s intestine may not be able to absorb the essential materials or end products of digestion which in turn results in malnourishment thus leading to underweight.
3. Digestive problems:
The individual may not be in the state of having enough food due to some causes e.g.- some get indigestion if they have even a little extra food, or may be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome, colonitis or something like that. The person may not be involving with correct habits or exercises to get the food digested well, assimilated and the good part of the end product of digestion to be absorbed to meet the body needs.
The person may be unaware about the proper quantity or proportion of various component of food what he has to consume.
Like the vegetables which he has to take about half the portion of his meal, then fats and crabs together about 1/4 part of his diet was proteins and vitamins to 1/4 th part of his meal. Thus it goes on. We generally say this as stomach may be divided to 3 parts and – 1/3rd of it must be filled with solid food particles ,
- another 1/3 rd must be filled with liquid particles
- last 1/3 rd must be left vacant for the air to circulate and aid the digestion.
5. Low Hb% in the body:
If a person is anemic also then wont gain weight. So boost up his Hb%
6. Unkown cause:
Here no matter what ever the person does, there is no problems of digestion absorption or malnourishment but the individual remains thin but active and healthy. This is ok. That can be called as his inborn constitution
Home Remedy for Gaining Weight
Eat good nutritive food. Bigger portion, many meals along with snacks and healthier, easily digestible, high calorie foods are to be taken. Gradual increase of high energy foods is important. Nourishing food such as meat extract, milk, curd, raw sugar, jaggery, black-gram, nuts and clarified butter is used. Bedtime snacks are admissible when it comes to gaining weight. Adequate rest and deep sleep, including a nap during daytime are important. All kind of labor, exertion, anxieties and mental activities should be eliminated. A regular exercise regime should be maintained.
The following are tips or home remedies for weight gain:
- Increase food intake: Increase in the intake of food is the very basic way through which one can gain weight as per need. It can either be increase in number of meals or the quantity of food taken in each meal. Gaining weight is as hard as losing it. It is a time consuming process which needs time and devotion. Remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day.
- Frequent meals: Eating often like six times a day can help to gain weight. But, each meal must be a small meal. Study conducted by Huffman, on old people showed that eating a full meal without appetite can cause disliking towards food. Instead, eating small meals at regular intervals improves appetite and there by weight gain.
- Healthy diet: While trying to gain weight, the focus should be more on taking healthy food rich in vitamins and minerals. Healthy food includes intake of meat, poultry, unsaturated plant fats, low milk f at, healthy starch content, vegetables, fruits and nuts. Cashews, almonds, dates, walnuts, dry grapes, apricots, peaches are some of the dried fruits and nuts which can be added to breakfast, salads, cereal and desserts. Sesame seeds, ground nuts, peanuts also contain fats in them and can help in adding that extra pound you need.
- Fat rich diet: Intake of animal fat content should not exceed recommended levels because of the increased risk of cholesterol in blood. Instead, one can opt for unsaturated plant fats that are healthy and good for weight gain.
- Have pleasant meals: Meal time should be a pleasant time rather than a hurried affair. Thoroughly enjoy every meal. Listening to soothing music while dining can be very helpful. Research conducted by Professors Brian Wansink and Koert van Ittersum, Cornell University suggest that by eating in larger cups and bowls one may increase the consumption of food compared to when eating in smaller cups and bowls.
- Coping with weight loss after illness: Some people lose weight during illness because of lack of appetite and other conditions. So, the focus may be on gaining weight. During this time, one can add fruits, milk, yoghurt smoothies and eggs to their diet to increase weight. Athletes and exercisers: People who work out heavily would need a high calorie and protein diet to keep up with their high energy consumption and to maintain proper weight. They can include high protein foods like meat, fish, and eggs in their diet. These are not only plentiful in protein but they also contain fat. Along with this, intake of dairy is also recommended.
- Yoga and exercise: Exercise should be taken up on a regular basis even by those who want to gain weight. It increases the appetite and improves overall health. Yoga asanas like surya namaskara (sun salutation), bhujang asana (snake posture), dhanurasana (bow posture) and chakrasana (wheel posture) can be practiced to gain weight. But, expert supervision is advised.
- Mango: Mango fruit is also very good while gaining weight. The amount of carbohydrates found in mango is very high. This fruit can be taken in breakfast or can be added to lunch or dinner depending upon availability. This fruit must be taken apart from regular food.
There are certain DON’T’S to gaining weight as well.
1, Avoid fluids before lunch: Taking any fluids like water, soda, tea or coffee before meals makes you feel full and lessen your appetite. Avoid taking fluids at least half hour to forty-five minutes before meals.
2 Deep fried foods: Avoid deep fried foods because, they not only add fat but also increase bad cholesterol levels in one’s blood. This can increase the risk of contracting heart diseases in future.
3 Quit Smoking: Smoking and the weight of the person have an inverse relationship with each other. Smokers will experience weight loss during the time they smoke and weight gain when they quit smoking. This is because tobacco is known to suppress appetite. Those who stop smoking can improve their appetite and gain weight.
Continue reading in next pages 1 2